Sunday 5 July 2009

Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall last night with David Gilmour: music review



Saw Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall in London last night, an idyllic way to spend a glorious summer evening before the predicted storms over the next few days. We even caught an old-fashioned Number 9 Routemaster bus complete with a proper conductor for the last leg of the journey, something that turns us passengers into ten-year olds, drawing smiles and getting us talking to each other. No mean feat for hard-bitten Londoners.

The Hall is huge and we had good seats in the banked stalls facing the stage but these were up the far end so the performers were tiny. Luckily, I had the foresight to bring my posh opera glasses, a fan for the muggy atmosphere, and a bottle of water so, except for sitting behind the biggest man in the world with a head and neck built like a bullock, I was happy.

After a great support act by progabilly singer Imelda May (Hmm, a name from two of my shows — I, Imelda and Anna May Wong Must Die!), Jeff appeared. Lithe, lean and tanned in his all-white with a little red bandana (were those pixie boots?) he looked dead cute and more like Nigel Tufnel every day, even though he turned 65 last week. This being the sedate Kensington Gore and the audience being mostly over fifty, the volume does not go up to eleven but is loud enough to give maximum pleasure, Jeff being the ribbed condom of the rock world, without shredding your eardrums.

Lovely Companion Charles Shaar Murray said, "Most instrumental rock guitarists can bore me to tears. Jeff Beck can move me to tears."

Apart from his awesome playing where the meister of the bent string and tremolo arm makes his white Stratocaster sing and wail, I love Jeff for the way he treats women musicians. Although I missed the presence of Beck regular — the marvelous (and statuesque) Imogen Heap — and wished she was there singing Rollin' and Tumblin', Imelda May (shorter by a foot) filled the Heap-shaped gap with a powerful voice and percussive backing band featuring jazz trumpet and Celtic drumming. (Am I the only person who loves drum solos?)

Jeff's been using the same bass player for years, the amazing prodigy Tal Wilkenfeld (now only 21 years old), including her in his legendary Ronnie Scotts series of gigs which you can get on DVD or get a glimpse of here. A light sensitive touch and digital dexterity does the trick. She holds her own providing a solid foundation for Jeff to do his thang and countering with imaginative bass fills. The highlight of their partnering last night was a duet on bass where Tal played the complex melodic stuff up the high end and Jeff at her shoulder plucked at the low strings.

Vinnie Colaiuta is simply brilliant on drums — did I mention I love drum solos? Part of the pleasure is counting his complex timing which never ever falls apart but always looks so damned easy.

I couldn't hear Jason Rebello's keyboards that clearly but then again you don't want synths cluttering up the scenery and competing with the man we came to hear.

For the encore, Jeff was joined by surprise guest performer David Gilmour (the tiny speck in black in the pic below) for a rousing rendition of Jerusalem, a real crowd-pleaser. Someone with a good seat has already posted the video (above).

For the second encore, they went from the sublime to the ridiculous with Hi Ho Silver Lining, a song Jeff once said was like having a fackin' pink toilet seat slung around your neck for life. David Gilmour sang so look out for the video on YouTube and one here. This effectively bookended the night with his first and biggest hit as he'd opened with Bolero, the B side to his greatest pop choon (1967).

Bad sound in the choir seats behind the PA led to our friends walking out before the encore and I'd urge promoters not to sell these seats without a warning and at knockdown prices. But otherwise a great show and a sold out venue. Promoter Harvey Goldsmith must be very happy with his new managerial conquest.

Pic: David Gilmour joins Jeff Beck onstage for the encore

UPDATE: Because so many visitors from outside the UK are reading this review, I'll quickly add what I can remember about the actual set-list. Mostly it it was the same as the Ronnie Scott's gig. A Day In The Life was gorgeous. Nitin Sawnhey's Nadia, and Stevie Wonder's Cause We've Ended As Lovers with a bass solo from Tal, were beautiful. Also enjoyed the stomping Big Block, and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat/Brush With The Blues. Peter Gunn was a new one — who doesn't love that heavy spy guitar riff? Aside from joining in the encore, Imelda May changed out of her rockabilly tight top and mini skirt and into a glamorous green velvet and net evening gown to sing the Eartha Kitt classic, "Lilac Wine", slow and sultry with Jeff's band. And the very last encore was Jeff and Jason on the haunting Where Were You?

9 comments:

Brien Comerford said...

Thank you very much for a very informative review. I love David Gilmour and he's declared that Jeff Beck is the most consistently brilliant guitarist in music.

Madam Miaow said...

Cheers, Brien.

I didn't know Gilmour said that about Jeff. Well deserved, too.

Neither did I know, until I just checked out your blog, that he's been a vegetarian since 1969. That probably accounts for his amazing shape. (Trying to cut down my meat intake and experimenting with tofu.)

Furtheron said...

My son and I were there as well and thought it brilliant.

I'm not surprised your friends suffered in the choir as I noted that Jeff and Tal were not miked up at all - i.e. all of the stage and therefore for those in the choir going in totally the wrong direction.

Sound qual was good where we were though, on the side of the raised stalls.

Great night which we really enjoyed.

Brian Carpenter said...

Thank you one and all for your insights regarding Jeff's London show at the RAH. We miss seeing him already here in the states and really great to hear how our hero is faring in the UK. Nice to hear David Gilmore's comments about Jeff as well.

Cheers!
Brian

Madam Miaow said...

Yes, it was a strange set-up, Furtheron. We noticed the speakers were all pointing front. Also, the performers hardly looked behind them. My mate said they were getting the keyboard mix and could hardly hear Jeff. Also, the drums were thunderously loud being that close, although that would have been a plus for me.

Really great to know our American friends are keeping up with Jeff's latest show. Had I known so many were getting vicarious pleasure through this blog I'd have included as much of a set list as I can remember.

In fact I'll add a quick update ...

Pete Graham & Dawn Li said...

was a great gig, good to see David Gilmour on stage, Pink Floyd in Nicosia? http://www.facebook.com/onecyprus

Unknown said...

I know it's not a rock gig, 1929 movie or West End Musical but couldn't you react a little quicker to the events unfolding in China over the last 72 hours??

Madam Miaow said...

Er, evidently not, Wendy, but thanks for your comradely concern, whoever you are.

I like to blog on matters in my own time, not under instructions from anonymous strangers, and when I have something intelligent and constructive to say.

Sorry you don't know what to think about it until I tell you. I shall have something up soon.

Ronnie Kerrigan said...

Hi Madam Miaow,

I was fortunate to attend the concert at the Royal Albert Hall on 4 July 2009. I also saw Jeff in Belfast on 30 June 2009. I was lucky to get his set lists at both concerts; one Jeff signed for me.

Link to reviews and photos, including set lists:

www.themagicmusichouse.com/

regards
ronnie

ShareThis