Saturday 2 October 2010

I yam Spartacus: Tony Curtis RIP



So sad to learn that the funny and impossibly beautiful Tony Curtis died on Wednesday. I had such a major crush on him as a child.

The film clip above of Curtis leading the heroically suicidal "I am Spartacus" declaration of freedom and solidarity still makes my eyes well up.

Other favourite Curtis moments include, "Match me, Sidney." The evil J.J. Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster) to Curtis's struggling press agent, Sidney Falco, in Sweet Smell Of Success (1957).

"Yonda lies da castle of my faddah," from The Black Shield Of Falworth(1954), a regularly quoted line whose Bronx accent he thought was unfairly exaggerated by snobs.

"Judy, Judy, Judy." His chortlesome parody of Cary Grant in Some Like It Hot (1959).

He was apparently "The Voice" in Rosemary's Baby (1968) but I can't place it. Anyone know anything?

I think I'm going to have a TC DVD glut.

Burt Lancaster abusing Tony Curtis in Sweet Smell Of Success (1957)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes so sad - and it's making me feel older than I actually am! My favs were The Defnat Ones, Some Like it Hot and yes Spartacus. Enjoy your TC DVD night in :)

DAVE BONES said...

No! I am Spartacus! Have you seen the revised Spartacus 5 part TV drama? Is very kinky and quite an epic in a homoerotic manner. Is on sidereel still I think.

biginabox said...

We had the same blood group. Type 'O'.
http://littlerichardjohn.blogspot.com/2010/10/prevention-of-orwell.html

ShareThis